Thursday, July 15, 2010

Log Book: Wilson 8Mtr

Wilson 8Mtr Deck / Cabin project record

From this point onwards I'll try to keep a running "log" on the progress of the project.

Richard suggested starting a staff and interested parties GoogleDoc to communicate the planning of the 8Mtr Deck,Cabin Coamings project.
He suggested we find an experienced laminator we trust and know to be an independant expert to overview and hopefully be a sounding board for us.
This GoogleDoc I have started and invited some collaborators in.
The intention is to eventually invite students' in as viewers (able to comment) into the document, allowing them to see how their tutors collaborate and discuss project issues.
This should help promote best practice and prompt participation and critical analysis.
Several students this week can into Unitec as they were unable to find work experience. I have had them tidy up some left over "Small Craft" jobs and start to build knowledge around the Wilson 8M deck project. They are discussing and noting processes resources and sequencing these resources in order to make an MS Project Gant Chart of the project.
All students' (that have given me their gmail address) invited as viewers to the Wilson 8M collaborative Google Doc.
Students (in attendance) asked to evaluate "Wallwisher", (example found in lower page of Moodle "Small Craft Build") as a means for them to have open discussions (like post it notes with pics,vids, etc...) and then group these discussions as useful resources for critical analysis of the learning experiences they are having during the project. Wallwisher is also great just to organise your groups and discuss problems etc...
Wallwisher available free online, just search with google for download.
Epoxy resin has now been decided upon as the most appropriate laminating resin for the job. Students were invited to review my MS Word document comparing Epoxy with Vinylester.

Path to word doc resin comparison (Not yet linked, can't access doc URL from home)
H:/APSK/MarineTech/CAT/Merf/Wilson 8M Composite deck

Need to get out to Adhesive technologies this week, to swap over the resin with Rex. we are comited to using the ADR resin system now with the ADH28 slow hardener.
The students teams worked well on their first day back after their "work experience" week many unable to secure a work experience opportunity due to the economic recession.
The advent of having a recorder of events (being one students' primary role each week) seems to be a sound one. Liam is the recorder of events this first week.
Liam was nominated the "recorder" for the week and took to the role well, The nominated "recorder" each week takes a record of:

  • Jobs undertaken and by whom.
  • Time taken.
  • Materials used.
  • Evidential (shared) Photos, Videos, and sketches developed during week.
Unfortunately some virus or other has floored me this week and I've not yet been able to review the week with Liam and the group as a whole.
Ideally I'll also be able to tap into these visual resources to brighten up this "Log book".

Most students are starting to work steadily towards our goals. It has been a slow start.
The recording so far, of actions/tasks performed, who performed the tasks, what happened, etc... is woeful. 
We must record our actions much more diligently. I'm just getting back on board after a short hospital time-out. I think some direction is needed. My next job is to try to give the project a kickstart.
I think the teams are ready to get fired up.


  1. It would be easier for searching and categorising these posts if they were posted as seperate individual posts rather than a collation of different dated logs in the single post.

  2. Thanks Thom, Will look into what may be done.